GENERAL ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
Admission into the MSI Graduate Program requires:
- A high degree of intellectual capacity and aptitude for research and advanced studies;
- For M.S. Applicants: a Bachelor’s degree from a recognized institution of higher learning.
- For Ph.D. Applicants: either a Master of Science degree or its equivalent in relevant fields obtained from a recognized institution of higher learning;
- A weighted average of at least 2.25 or its equivalent in the natural sciences and mathematics in a B.S. degree;
The student’s preparation should include:
- Physics – through thermodynamics and motion;
- Mathematics – through calculus;
- Chemistry – through organic chemistry; and,
- General Biology.
For those who would like to specialize in Marine Biotechnology, elementary biochemistry is required while for those who would like to specialize in the Marine Physical Sciences, Geology 11 is required (they may sit-in/audit) simultaneous with Physical Oceanography and Chemical Oceanography.
HOW TO APPLY
The applicant needs to submit the following no later than six weeks before the registration period of each semester. Registration for the first semester starts around the first week of June while for the 2nd semester, it starts around the first week of November:
- Application letter
- Curriculum vitae
- Two duly accomplished application forms including a thoughtfully completed Statement of Purpose
- The original and duplicate copy of the undergraduate and graduate official transcript of records
- Duly accomplished recommendation forms from two former professors and/or supervisors
- Submit two if both have doctorate degrees
- However, submit three if only one has a Doctorate degree, and the other two have a Master’s degree
- Payment of application fees (non-refundable)
- For foreign applicants, whose native language and medium of instruction are not English,
- Certification of English Proficency (Test of English as a Foreign Language, TOEFL average score of 500).
- Satisfaction of additional University requirements such as a health clearance and other special admission requirements that may be imposed by a Graduate Committee.
Completed applications shall be submitted to the Graduate Office of the College of Science. The Institute’s Graduate Committee evaluates applications and endorses acceptance to the Dean.
For further inquiries, please contact the office of the Deputy Director for Instruction:
The Marine Science Institute
University of the Philippines
Diliman, Quezon City
Telefax: (632) 9223962